Friday, August 12, 2016

UFC shenanigans

I went into the UFC gym at 3:30 or so, and I knew I was supposed to ask for Torrence. Of course with my luck he wasn't there. But there was this Australian guy working the front desk, So I spoke to him. His name is Mike, and I had no idea that he was the owner. I explained my situation, and he told me Torrence would be in in a bit. I asked for a tour of the gym, and as he gave me one, I was running my mouth like a mower. I got wayy too excited about fighting (I've always wanted to fight/train) and looking back, I probably looked like an idiot.

While I was waiting for Torrence to get in, I went to the public library, bought a cute as hell red jacket from Goodwill, and took a small walk under the California sun. I came back about 5:30 and had my "interview" (lol) with Torrence. He asked me basic questions, and we ended by him telling me he would give me a call by Friday to tell me if I got the job or not. I drove home, and within the hour he called. I got the job!

I come in Monday-Friday 6am-1pm and do basic things like mop the lobby, keep the bathrooms clean, log appointments, answer the phone, you get the idea. I was trained by Brianna, and honestly she is freaking awesome. Brianna is 26, dating one of the Muy Thai trainers at this gym named Turbo, professionally rides horses, and was so much like me. We had a lot of fun talking for the few days she trained me. Unfortunately she had to leave because she moved away to Texas for her horse racing. Even though I knew her for 4 days, Ill miss her a lot.

The cool thing that happened here though was that after 2 days, the District Manager named Paul (a big ass scary ass Tongan man) came in and offered me a job as a sales rep. He and Torrence said they liked me and as long as I was okay with "taking money from people" I could have the job. I thought about it, and its just a sales job. People are smart enough to say no if they don't want something, and Im not a snakey person. So, I took it.

Im in "training" right now with Carlos, and Carlos is in the top sales. He's supposed to have been teaching me how to go out and approach strangers on the street about our gym, but instead we have been going out to In n out and going to parks and stuff. Which, Im okay with that, but in the end I need to know how to make money so Id like to actually learn something from him. But he hasn't taught me a thing. I have found out some pretty weird things about Carlos..

For instance. He prefers to drink alone. Its not that strange, but still I feel like it'd be quite depressing to drink by yourself all the time. He has a lot of anger yet he's really quiet and shy. Not usually a good combination lol, I just hope I don't ever get on his bad side. And then theres the fact that he likes to do Cocaine. So thats fun.

I was ordered to go out and "prospect" on my own and I absolutely bombed it because  I have no idea how to approach people on the streets. It was really embarrassing and I felt so dumb, and when I came back and told Carlos about it, I randomly burst into tears. I think the stress of everything I've been through this month was gonna make me blow and the prospecting is what took me over the edge. I felt like an idiot but I pulled it together kinda quick. Yikes right?

Other than Sales training, I've been doing a little bit of Brazilian Jiujitsu with Armando. I love Armando. He's 23, a skinny tatted out ex gang member. He's cocky as hell, but really a big teddy bear when you get to know him and he's all talk. He's a good fighter, so he's been teaching me. After one lesson, he said he was really impressed with me and loves how quickly I caught on, he was expecting me to be bad because Im "a girl". What a brat

After work sometimes I have been going straight to Creature FX (Marks) for some extra hours that he offered me.  it sucks and I'm working from 5 am basically to 7pm. I'm beat every time I do it. But its been fun because I got to work on an umbilical cord for a skittles commercial coming out in 6 months, and seam and patch some horse legs for a Movie (or TV series, idk yet) called Godless.

So this is life lately. Just working, training, crying, going through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment