Tuesday, July 19, 2016

First day F*ckery

My first day at work was nothing short of insane.

I was told to arrive at 9:30 am. I got there on time surprisingly (if you know me then you know how serious this is). I originally was hired on by Mark as whats called a "Runner". What happens is young people who are trying to get into the industry want a job at a studio, they usually get stuck being a runner for a long while before the shop even lets them touch materials. A Runners responsibility is to drive in the horrible LA traffic all day and go get materials that the employees need. Things like 5 gallon buckets of polyurethane, silicone, brushes, buckets, cups, popsicle sticks, you get the idea.

So, I was hired on as a temporary runner for mark, and all I had to get me around is my wonderfully beat up 1998 Stick shift piece of shit. I told Mark I could do it and it would all be okay. and I was! I spent my first day at work learning the entire shop incredibly quick, people I didn't know yelling orders at me, having to keep track of receipts, multiple papers, money, the miles I drove, etc. I almost got hit by a semi-truck on one of my tiny excursions to Nigels Beauty Emporium, but I survived that first day and did everything I was asked, even in a timely manner. I was proud I did all of it with a busted GPS.

But, unfortunately, I was cursed as a young child to have the worst luck known to man, and it was only a matter of time.. My car decided to break down on me as I was getting off the Freeway home from work. I had gotten lost in LA because of said broken GPS, and it took me a couple hours to get back to Santa Clarita. as I was exiting the freeway to finally come home (exhausted, mind you) my car began to violently shake. it died on me, and took 3 times to get it turned back on again. Once I got it running again, I noticed my "check engine" light was on, and the hood of my car leaking smoke. Yayyy.

I hurried and pulled into the nearest gas station, which was a Chevron, and turned my car off. I sat there for a bit in disbelief. What the hell was I going to tell Mark? I have to have my car to get to work, I have to be a runner, what if my car was ruined?? I stayed calm, and decided to call my dad and explain the situation.

We figured it out after a bit, and I decided to ask the employee at Chevron for help. big mistake.
This woman was the most awful human being I had come across since the Taxi Man. She ignored me until the third try, and told me she didn't know where any mechanics were. After trying to ask her one more question, she literally put a paper in front of her face, ignored me and kept reading. So I left. I decided to walk home and tell Nick what happened. We talked it out and he suggested I should call the Chevron to see if it was okay to leave my car there for the night.

This is where my childhood curse really kicks in. I called the Chevron bitch, our conversation went a little something like this:
 "...Hello?"

"Hi, I just came in about a half an hour ago looking for a mechanic, do you remember me?"

"..No."

". . ..I was just here, my car broke down?"

"No. Sorry."

"okay, well can you look outside to your left and tell me if you see a little green car?"

"Oh, I do remember you. I called my boss, your car isn't allowed to be here. Your car is going to be towed."

"What?? where?"

"I don't know."

"how much is it going to be?"

"My boss said the cost for you will be $2,000"

"can you tell him to wait? Ill try to move my car right now!"

"No, sorry"

WHAT.

Panic ensues, next thing I know I find myself banging on Nicks door begging him to take me to the Chevron by our house. I told him the situation and we found ourselves LITERALLY sprinting to the car to get there in time. Luckily we beat the Towing truck, and my car started by miracle. I drove it to the hill by our house and left it there.

First day at work, nothing short of insane. See what I mean?

I called Mark, and explained the situation, which actually worked out in my favor. I got bumped up to a shop worker since I couldn't do runs anymore. So sometimes life is nice to me.

I get rides to work with Cody now, since we work at the same studio luckily. I've been working on a movie coming out (I can't divulge that info yet) and a famous TV series called Criminal Minds. I've gotten to work with chemicals, fake blood, make intestines and guts, hack up fake body parts, etc.
I decided I'm not getting enough hours at Marks, I work one day then I'm off for three. I have to make  money for rent, food and gas. So I've called some other studios and I hopefully will hear back from them. In the mean time, this is where I'm at.

My Futurama live action film is out now! The Trailer was just released. its incredibly cheesy but I love that I can say I worked on it. Ill leave the link down below so you can watch if you'd like.

-Micah

Link to My first Film I ever worked on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNRPKKF4qU

No comments:

Post a Comment