Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Reflecting

April 19th, 2016 12:01 am: "Hey, when are you moving out here?"

The message that started it all.

I decided that it would be a crime not to write this story down, I would look back on these experiences and regret it if I didn't document the little things. Because that's really what its all about I'm realizing. Little things. So, for the next however long I feel, I have decided to write about my experiences and thoughts about my recent move to CA.  Read at your own caution.

As I was saying earlier, April 19th is when everything was kicked into motion. In 2015 November, I got an offer while I was going to College in UT to fly out to LA and work on an upcoming movie. The man who offered it to me is named Glen. Glen is a renowned FX makeup artist, and I somehow managed to stumble into his life through casually speaking with a woman id never met at a hair salon right before I graduated High School. She put me in contact with someone, who put me in contact with Glen. We talked for a few months and I shared my work with him. Half a year later, while I was attending college, I got that offer, and it changed my life.

I had to make a decision fast, Glen explained if I wanted to work on this film, I would need to be on a plane to California within 24 hours. I didn't know what to do about College, so I spoke with my parents and within a few hours, I was packing my bags to leave to LA in the morning. I unfortunately had to drop out of college, and yes I wasted $3,000. But this was an opportunity I knew I couldn't pass up. So I went.

I remember being so scared to fly by myself, but I did it. I remember walking out of the airport, looking for a Taxi driver...ohhh..the Taxi Driver.

THE TAXI DRIVER

I got into the car of the first Taxi driver I saw. Mind you, This man was Asian, spoke broken english, but seemed nice enough. I told him the address, and he had difficulty finding it on his GPS. after about 7-8 minutes of asking me the same questions, hitting the GPS and yelling in God knows what language, this man demands to talk Dave (who was on the phone with me) Dave is also a makeup artist. I hand the taxi driver my phone, and instantly he and Dave were going at it. The Taxi driver threw my phone at my face. I picked up the phone and Dave said "Micah, you need to get out of this car. tell him" So, I did. He didn't let me out. He continued driving, waving his hands frantically and speaking in his foreign language. So, with more force, I demanded to get out of the car. The taxi driver slammed his brakes and told me to get out. My luggage was literally thrown into the street, and he turns to me and screams "YOU BETTA PAY ME FOR THIS TAXI RIDE YOU WHORE" I declined "FUCK YOU, YOU PAY ME NOW, I DROVE YOU" I declined again, and he sped off, leaving me in a random place.

I was terrified. I found another Taxi driver, but when I got into the car, she immediately got out and began vomiting. She told me to exit the car, so I did. Apparently she had "food poisoning". Ridiculous, am I right? But still funny as hell. I finally got a third Taxi driver who was mostly normal, aside from the fact that he told me I looked like a young Meg Ryan at least 8 times. I got to the FX studio, and began working immediately.

BACK TO THE MAIN 

Any who, my stay with Glen was fun. We had lots of conversations, inside jokes, and memories that were created. We are still friends to this day. I'm glad I know this man, because if it weren't for him, none of this would have ever happened. AND, I wouldn't have gotten to meet Pierce Brosnan and work with him. (Oh yes I did.) We made nose prosthetics for him and applied them at his temporary home, which was Steven Spielbergs old beach house. Yes, I got to go in there. Yes, it was the most beautiful house id ever seen. Yes, Pierce is a badass. He even paints, and I was lucky enough to be shown his little studio. Great guy, and surprisingly timid. it was a memorable experience for sure.

November 21st 2015




I came home in the beginning of December with a goal that I would move out to LA within the next year or two. I wanted to be there again. I missed it so much. So I guess, thats really how it started.
But fast forward a few months to April 19th, 2016. Cody, one of the Makeup Artists I met on set for the Futurama live action I was working on in LA, messaged me. He asked if I had ever thought about moving out. I said yes. He asked when I could move out, I said id let him know. Long story short, I drove my Poo-green 1998 Nissan Altima 660.5 Miles to the Land of Opportunity on July 6th, 2016.

Prior to this, I had been dealing with a lot. I was dealing with my parents fresh divorce, (they are still legally married though) and that in itself is painful beyond belief. I felt alone, thrown around, and just all around sad. On top of that, we were losing our house again. Money is tough. So, I had to move the entire house with just two other sets of hands in less than a month to a storage unit. I lived in a mans basement for a week in Cottonwood heights while we waited for our new home in Traverse to be available. Then I had to move said house AGAIN in 2 days. On top of that I was dealing with leaving my entire life behind to pursue this dream.

Saying my goodbyes was hard. I left everything behind. Friends, A boyfriend, Family, my Dog Gracie, The mountains, memories, comfort, you name it. But here I am. I survived it all and I didn't think I could. And I've never said this before, but I'm proud of myself.

So theres the little background I wanted to give. These next stories are more current, and they get better and better. The greatest part of it all, is that I have so much to write and I've only been here for 2 weeks. Take care,

Micah

No comments:

Post a Comment