Monday, July 25, 2016

We didn't start the fire

  

Theres quite the Fire happening right now where I live. Its been named the Sand Fire...I didn't think it was that big of a deal until yesterday morning, I walked outside to find that the entire sky was blocked out with orange and black smoke. When I say blocked out, I mean VERY thickly covered. It was raining white ash, and there was already a layer collecting on the ground at this point. When I walked outside, I genuinely felt like I was in a post apocalyptic world. There were sirens constantly going off in the distance, you could hear people crying, but yet it was eerily quiet. 

The fire got so close to our apartment, I could see the flames from my balcony. Of course, we had to evacuate. There were 1700 firefighters on the scene, dozens of trucks, etc. the fire as of right now is only 10% contained, and its burned more than 22,000 acres and 17 homes. Im not joking when I say this is a big fire...So we left. I grabbed the things I felt were the most important to me, packed it up, and we all drove to Noras house to spend the night. 

I hated it. 

Smoking and drinking can be fun, but its not a lifestyle for me. For these people, it is. Drinking and smoking is as casual to them as breathing air. I was feeling particularly lonely during this time, so I stayed on the hammock for a while, and watched the sky. You always usually feel the most alone when everyone is fucked up at a party (in my opinion)

I came back in at some point, and everyone eventually went to bed. I got the couch, but I honestly might have rather had the floor. Ive never slept on something so uncomfortable. But the day came, and we got the good news that we had been waiting all night for. Our homes had been saved, and we were able to go back. I was so relieved. But as for now, we are still on precaution, and the fire is still raging. 

This Photo was Taken in North Hollywood, which isn't far from my place. The sky looked just like this all the way to LA. I've never seen anything like it. 

Now we're all caught up. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment